Rockaway Relief Effort Group Ride

Posted by on November 5th, 2012
Thanks a million to those who donated to the Affinity Rockaway Relief effort, and to the 100+ who made the group ride out to the Rockaway Surf Club on beach 87th. When we arrived at the surf club I was overwhelmed by the devastation on Rockaway, but was also thrilled to see how a communal effort was able to quickly organize and begin immediate relief.
The surf club has become a make shift relief center and our effort was given the job of going house to house from the ocean to the bay canvassing and getting addresses, phone numbers and what people needed from 100th street to 60th… every single house or condo. From man power, buckets to remove the sand, people still needing to pump out flood water, food, clothes pretty much anything they wanted we wrote down.
From there we took the info back so that they can get to understand what everyone needs, then we went right back out and gave them the supplies and began helping right away. It was truly amazing, and the residents of Rockaway were so relieved and humbled knowing that so many were there to help.
Again thank you to everyone to joined us for the ride, you all made a huge gesture by showing up and lending a hand to help those in need. I love you New York City, this effort is what makes this city so great!

We are going to be accepting donations all week long and going back out again on Saturday and Sunday. Clothing is not really something needed at this point. Batteries, cleaning supplies and food are the big ticket items. Meet at Affinity Cycles at 9, roll out at 9:30. The more folks we have for the ride and distribution efforts the bigger impact we can make. There is still so much to be done.

8 Responses

1. Janessa Olsen Says at November 5th, 2012 at 2:50 pm :

Hi, I want to go on your next outing this weekend. Please keep me informed if possible, if not I’ll just keep checking your FB page. Thank you so much for organizing this!

3. Lisa Says at November 6th, 2012 at 3:19 pm :

is there a check in place in Far rockaway? or is it just sporadic? Are there other dates?
    will there be someone providing equipment?

5. Jackie Says at November 7th, 2012 at 9:36 am :

Affinity Crew!!! Thank you all so much! Your turnout and door to door efforts on Sunday dramatically improved our ability to meet the needs of residents on Monday and Tuesday. The hand written lists you delivered were sorted by block, combed to created work crew requests, and ultimately made into a huge job board!! We were able to meet all the supply request and a majority of the work crew requests by 3:00 pm on Monday!! Thank you! And looking forwarding to seeing you on Saturday.

7. Jason Says at November 8th, 2012 at 12:38 pm :

The meet up spot is at the Rockaway Surf Club at 302 beach 87th street under the train tracks. We’re rolling out from Affinity at 9:30, please meet at the shop starting at 9. thank you all ,see you this weekend! group rides both Saturday and Sunday!

9. Natashamott Says at November 8th, 2012 at 6:14 pm :

Can we meet at 302 Beach 87 instead of the shop? I’m coming from Bay Ridge, it’d be quite the bike hike… Would love to meet up both Saturday and Sunday.

10.
  11. jane Says at November 9th, 2012 at 1:15 pm :

Sitting in a car in Broad Channel waiting to get over the bridge for my first trip back to my devastated hometown on Sunday, I was passed by a caravan of bicyclists carting supplies. No public transit? No gas? No problem.

Members of my family lost everything in the storm, and we’re all currently displaced, but that sight made me feel hopeful. First happy tears in a long time.

A bit later on, a couple compiling lists of needed items and assistance stopped by to ask us how they could help. We were just grabbing very few salvageable items – my brother’s house is suitable only for a bulldozer – but boy did we appreciate the offer. When you feel so helpless, it’s so encouraging to see people with ready hands and heart making all the difference.

Thank you for all of the good work you are doing to help out. It is truly inspiring.

12.
  13. Rivka Gewirtz Little Says at November 11th, 2012 at 8:21 am :

Thank you Affinity folks for organizing yet another great relief ride yesterday. I was so proud to be a part of the efforts and to ride with ya’ll.

14.
  15. SA Says at November 13th, 2012 at 11:12 am :

I rode out to Rockaway with the group this past Saturday. Just wanted to say thank you to the Affinity crew–you guys did a phenomenal job organizing an amazing ride and event. And thanks also to my fellow riders. My fingers remain crossed for the poor folks in Rockaway and elsewhere who have had their lives turned upside down by the storm.